Voting and Election

How to Register to Vote


Residents of Acworth who will be 18 years of age or older on election day and are citizens of the United States, may register to vote at the Town Clerk’s office up to 10 days before any election during office hours or contact the Supervisor of the Check list, Betty Gowan at 513 NH Rte. 123A, (603)-835-6531 or Marianne Nevelson (603) 835-6896. Please remember that you must be a citizen of the United States to vote.


On Election Day, you may register at the Town polls at the Acworth Town Hall on 13 Town Hall Road. There is no minimum period of time you are required to have lived in the state before being allowed to register. You may register as soon as you have moved into our community.


Proof of residency requires positive identification and a current form or document that provides your name and address. Acceptable proof includes items such as: a drivers license with residence address, vehicle registration with residence address, current postmarked personal mail, a library card with correct address, a lease, utility bill, and/or a payroll stub with your address on it. If you were born outside of the United States proof of citizenship must additionally be provided. Please call the Town Clerk's Office for guidance if you have any questions about the type of documentation you will need (603)-835-6879.


In New Hampshire, no one is permitted to register to vote after ten (10) days prior to an election, except on Election Day. This allows the Supervisors of the Checklist time to update and print the Checklist that will be used at the polls on Election Day. Registering to vote on Election Day at the polls is allowed, but be prepared for a delay. Registering and voting on Election Day will require you to wait in two lines: one to register and one to vote. You must provide proof of residency. Save time by registering ahead.


The Supervisors hold sessions prior to every election for voters to register or make corrections in their voter information.

Political Affiliation


When registering to vote, you are not required to register as a member of a political party, i.e. as a Republican or a Democrat; you may register as an “undeclared” voter. However, while all registered voters are allowed to vote in a general election, only party members can vote in a primary election. The law allows an undeclared voter to declare a party at the polls, vote the ballot of that party, and then change their party affiliation back to undeclared simply by completing the form available from the Supervisors of the Checklist at the polling place. Voters should be aware of their party status before a primary election. If you are unsure of your party affiliation, you should contact your town or city clerk, as they have the records of party membership. The State of New Hampshire provides an on-line voter registration portal for registered voters to look up their current party affiliation or call the town clerk.


Changing Parties


If you voted on a party ballot in a state or presidential primary, you are now a registered member of that party unless you CORRECTLY filled out a card at the polls to return to undeclared status.


Party changes can only be made by "appearing in person" at the Town Clerk’s Office RSA 654:34. In addition, there are periods of time when state law does not permit change of party (generally from the first date of a filing period until the day after the primary election).


Address changes from one Acworth residence to another within Acworth can be made at the Town Hall or by requesting a change form by mail from the Supervisors of the Checklist.


Absentee Registration


New Hampshire residents must be absent for a prolonged period (such as college students, service members, or overseas citizens), or physically disabled and unable to come to the Office of the Town Clerk or polling place to register in order to do so by mail. Some states permit anyone to vote and register absentee. New Hampshire law does not. Please contact the Town Clerk for information and forms. If you meet the state's voter requirements and qualifications and are unable to register in person because of physical disability, religious beliefs, military service, or because of temporary absence, you may register by mail. You should request an Absentee Registration Affidavit and a Voter Registration Card from the Town Clerk. The Absentee Registration Affidavit must be witnessed and then the affidavit, supporting documentation are to be returned to the Town Clerk. You cannot pick-up an Absentee Ballot for your spouse or neighbor, etc. Each individual Absentee Ballot must be given or mailed to the Town Clerk prior to the election day. Application forms may be obtained from the Town Office or click on the link for the form at the bottom of this page and mail or fax to the Town Clerk's office. Please be sure to note any Town Clerk’s office registration deadlines and allow time for mailing.

Overseas Citizens and Armed Forces Registration


Generally, all U.S. citizens 18 years or older who are or will be residing outside the United States during an election period are eligible to vote absentee in any election for Federal office. In addition, all members of the Uniformed Services, their family members, and members of the Merchant Marine and their family members, who are U.S. citizens, may vote absentee in Federal, state and local elections. The Federal Voting Assistance Program web site is a good source of information for citizens covered by this program. For an armed service voter, "legal voting residence" can be the state or territory where you last resided prior to entering military service or the state or territory that you have since claimed as your legal residence. For overseas citizens, "legal state of residence" for voting purposes is the state or territory where you last resided immediately prior to your departure from the United States. For more specifics on determining voting residency please consult the Voting Assistance Guide.

Requesting an Absentee Ballot


Absentee ballots are available from the Town Clerk 30 days prior to an election. Click the link below to request an Official Absentee Ballot or the form may be obtained at the Town Clerk's office or the voter may write a letter of request for an absentee ballot. The request may be submitted in person, by mail or by fax at (603) 835-7901. All requests require a signature. Mail your request to:


Acworth Town Clerk

PO Box 37

Acworth, NH 03601


If you are requesting an absentee ballot for a partisan election, please be sure to indicate whether you want a Republican or Democratic ballot if you are an undeclared voter. If you are affiliated with a party, you will be mailed the ballot of that party. If you are not sure, check at this website: voter information lookup.

Returning Your Ballot


Make your vote count! Carefully follow the instructions enclosed with your ballot. After marking your ballot, place it in the small envelope and seal this envelope, sign the affidavit and return it to the Town Clerk’s office. Affix postage and mail the envelope so that it is received at the post office by 5:00 PM on Election Day.  


A voters absentee ballot may also be returned in person by the voters parent, spouse, sibling or child to the town clerk and may be returned on election day.   The person returning the absentee ballot shall complete a form and provide proper ID before the clerk will accept the ballot.   

NEVER leave a completed absentee ballot in a box, on a desk, or slipped through the clerks window or door.  A marked absentee ballot may NOT be transmitted by facsimile to a town or city clerk.